22 March 2009

Out of Sequence

I haven't posted for the past couple of days because I've been wanting to put pictures up with descriptions, etc., and just haven't had the time, but there was something today that I can't get off my mind so I wanted to share it. We toured the city of Jerusalem.  We saw too much for me to describe each site. As I said, I've had this image of this wonderfully organized scrapbook-style blog so I've taken pictures like crazy each day— but today was very different. The first stop inside of the city gates was at the pool of Bethesda, where Jesus healed the lame man, telling him to "take up his mat and walk." We read the story at the side of the pool and then said a prayer for healing for those in our group and others that we know who are sick. Most of you know Pam Bell (Polly, Roxie and Suzann's mom) was recently diagnosed with leukemia and is currently at M.D. Anderson. Immediately she came to mind during this prayer. (Please pray for her now, even if you don't know her.) The coolest thing about Mrs. Bell is that she is always SO EXCITED about what God does. She is ever aware of His presence and is a constant testimony to those she encounters. She tells these beautiful stories of what God has done for her lately with joy radiating though her expressions. When I think of her, this is what I think first. She often starts the conversation by saying "Hey! Guess what God did!" with the tone and exuberance of a kindergarten teacher. 

 After leaving the pools at Bethesda, we headed to the place where Jesus was likely taken to trial before Pilate prior to the crucifiction. At this spot, there was a beautiful reading of the story from Luke 18:28-40. Maybe it's because of my thoughts of Mrs Bell, but during this reading, I put my camera away as the words of Mrs. Bell resonated in my mind. Wow. Guess what God did. He sent His only son into this world. And He willingly came, knowing all He would endure, He still came. For you, for me. Guess what God did. And with all of the evil abounding, in His death He did not condemn us, but instead, redeemed us. Who would have thought?! We walked the way of sorrow, the way of the cross, and I kept my camera stowed. I hope that I get a chance to walk it again someday, camera in hand, but today was not the day for that. Today was not a day to walk the road focussing my camera on the scenery, but rather, a day to focus my heart on this thought. I know it's redundant, but I must say it again. Wow. Guess what God did.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing Sally...just amazing!! I'm not there, but you make me feel like I am..and help me to stop and be so thankful for just what God did!! love you girl and look fwd to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    Hey, girl. This is Roxie and Pam. We are sitting in mom's room with tear stained eyes and touched hearts. I just started reading her your blog andd we both began to weep. We didn't know what it was going to be about; however we were overwhelmingly (I don't think that is a word) touched. We are sitting here holding to that promise "Look what the Lord has done". He has healed Mom.

    We love you SO MUCH. You are so special to all of us. We are praying for your trip.
    Love-Roxie and Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girly, I am so glad that you blogging. This is AWESOME. I look forward to reading what you are experiencing and I can feel Him and the scriptures through you. After my crazy, busy schedule and when I am done reading I feel this wonderful peace. Thanks... I love you!!
    Dre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sally! I will look forward to reading this each day. No need for a camera, your words are more descriptive and heartfelt. Have a great trip! We are praying for you!

    Kory Waller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally,
    You have touched my heart! What an incredible message God is whispering to your heart. Thanks for sharing it...it is a challenge and an encouragement to me. I love you with all of me!

    ReplyDelete